pandemo (pandemo) wrote,

Stressed to the Max (Edit into two posts -- car and school)

We're now officially two weeks into the second semester. Our school, in an effort at transparency in grading, has posted both the lesson plans and the student's grades on line.

Most people can do that from home, but I live so rural that the old phone line is too slow. The connection times out before it gets down, even in the middle of the night, when general use ought to really drop off. (So should I, but that's another problem entirely.)

Since the notes on who is passing/not passing have to be posted by 9 am Monday... EVERYTHING must be graded, right now. I've been running a half day to a day and a half behind all week. The two reading classes both had deadlines for the end of their projects. I have been encouraging EARLY submission = more support = higher grades, and have had a few takers. But, the pile of procrastinators is 2' deep on my desk by the end of the day. All the stuff I generally grade before school, over the noon hour, and on my prep period DID NOT HAPPEN, as I was busy working one-on-one with our most troubled non-participants. (With a small bit of success, which may be too little, too late, but at least they are getting HELP.)

I brought home a 2' pile of stuff from my desk as I needed to be here in the 55+ degree weather to get the little car out of the snowbank, as it drops tomorrow, and she'll be there until thaw if I can't get her out now...

So it ALL must be graded and put in the book (which is on line so parents can see it from home). This is a day and a half worth of material, but it includes two classes' final hand ins on a two week long project. All I did today was work one on one with kids who were in danger, trying to help them get whatever they needed to do understood enough that they would be successful. Of course, just SAYING to them LAST FRIDAY that they needed to do it NOW, not wait until the last minute, did nearly NO good... the last two days, 95% of the stuff hit all at once.

I sure did need this weekend. Today's weather was just divine, and the horses got their hay hauled, the little car is where even if we DO get more as predicted, I can get her out, and the phone has been ringing off the hook.

I never get home on a Friday night before 10-12 pm, as I try to stay and put stuff in the computer and post it all, each time it rang, I'd ask, "Why are you calling me at this time on a Friday night when you KNOW I'm never home?"

So, they'd laugh and say they didn't know, but just "felt like" calling me, or something similar.

  • Still Not Home

    I talked a nurse into weighing me by piggybacking on another resident's trip to the weight room. I am off the iv, and the head of nurses came in…

  • Tempest in a Teapot

    After the first week here at the Osage Rehab, some of the aides helped me change my bed around. When I first got here, the head of my bed was in the…

  • Long Time Gone

    I should have gone to the doctor's office back in November when my first symptoms appeared, but my youngest sister, who used to be a nurse,…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.