|Monday, June 2nd, 2003|
4:24p - Making Pasture
Last fall, I asked a local farmer to renovate my pastures. In February, he was still planning to do it. Then, as April ended, he began to change his tune. Several weeks more, all with nothing done, and he said if I could find someone else...
So, last week, I went up to a seed company and bought a batch of mixed seed -- lespedesia, rhy, orchard, timothy, brome, white clover... what I hoped would match the good stand I got last year, but couldn't find the formula for.
Then I waited for RAIN. A tacky ground holds the seed in place better. Last year, it got spread without regard for the rain, and lots of bare patches show where it got washed into the runnels it was supposed to prevent with its root system.
I spread the grass seed mix in Debut's pasture, but must have done it too thickly, as I used up all the seed without finishing the patch, much less getting into the other pasture. I need to go back for more seed. But I waited before spreading this batch until there was moisture. I got splatters on the windshield before I was done, and it has dribbled all day. This is ideal for seeding germination. I could see where last year's seeding washed into certain areas before sprouting. That could still happen to this batch, of course, but I am hopeful. I tried to fill in a lot with new seed. (Maybe that's why I ran out???) I also was not consistent in the volume of seed I was putting down. The little seeder I bought a few years back seemed to go on the blink after making a horrid screeching noise, so I ended up scooping it out and tossing it into the air... Oh, well. As long as it came back down, something ought to happen....
Let's hope this isn't another session where we see how effective my black thumb is.
(12 comments |comment on this)
4:49p - Vet's Visit
Who got what?
By 9 this morning, I had everyone locked up somewhere close except Omyno. He was in the small pasture west of the trailer, so was "close" enough, if he acted the way he normally does. (Runs to see what is going on whenever someone pulls in. In his other life, he must have been a dog.)
We waded in slightly after 9:30, giving Strongid T for the drench wormer, and a four way shot (Tetanus, Eastern and Western encephalitis, and flu vac). With 29 head to do, West Niles was not a serious consideration. Horses on the East coast are developing an immunity, so hopefully this will prove true here in the midwest. Giving the first of two (three by some people's vet's count, and some versions of what is effective) doses to everyone would be the same amount as the rest of the bill together, then repeated. Right. Not without a sale or two first.
Colonel Jim (CJ)
The last four were hit with Panacure, instead, as the other ran out.
Robin had already done Fantasia, and the now 26 year old Gai Carousel, who was given away three years ago, was undone for the third year.
The last time I wormed everyone, I did it myself, and I did not remember being as worn out as I was after this session...
After thinking about that, I realized that the ones who were over at Robin's were brought home, so that was 6 more, and I seem to have not shaken off the bout of strep throat I had right before school ended. I took all the medicine, and seemed better, but then got another sore throat, got almost over it, but after the bout with the herd, was down again. This morning I was feeling a bit better, so I did the seeding, and afterward, I was down again. Oh, well. Both are things that had to be done.
(2 comments |comment on this)